Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cheese of the Month Part II

y, this has been a very rough past few weeks! And it looks like things are only going to get busier. But! I didn't forget Cheese # 2 of the Cheese of the Month. I present to you, the Crottin de Champcol, a pasteurized goat cheese from Loire, France. This little cheese comes in a cylindrical form and has a very strong and spicy bite. Almost shockingly so! In French, Crottin means "road-apple" (as in dung, trailed along the road), which describes the moldy, dark coloring that covers a well aged Crottin. When young, the Crottin's interior is creamy and nutty, with the goat flavor becoming more pronounced as it ages. Honestly, I was not a fan of this one. There was a very strong spiciness to this cheese, making it difficult to enjoy. I'm hoping that I just picked up a bad one, especially considering that it's gotten great reviews. But I'm not inclined to buy this cheese again, there are just too many others to try!

Pairs well with a Sancerre.

No comments:

Post a Comment