Monday, March 30, 2015

A Love Affair with Breakfast Sandwiches

Dear Reader,

Pre-Made Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches
Does this happen to you? You open your eyes to a beautiful weekend morning, sun is shining, your mind begins to wander to all the things you want to accomplish for the day, and then *grumble grumble*. Your friend the appetite monster begins making some unreasonable demands - something about "breakfast now!" and "where is my coffee!" and "HELLO we've been on a fast for 7 whole hours, where is the FOOD?"

I can relate. This is me on a consistent weekend (and weekday) basis. I've written about my hangry stage (appears around 4pm every weekday), now you meet the appetite monster. So much of my world is driven by a narrow agenda - my next meal.

My usual breakfast cravings are for hearty breakfast sandwiches. In an effort to save time (get. in. my. belly.) and money, I decided to take an hour to pre-make breakfast sandwiches in bulk, package and freeze them for easy consumption. Huge success, even E loved them and brought a few for lunch! Super convenient, super cheap and super easy.
Pre-made Breakfast Sandwiches 
Makes 12 sandwiches

Ingredients
2 packs of whole wheat english muffins (total of 12 english muffins)
1 pack of canadian bacon (10 slices. You can substitute with bacon, sausage, or leave out the meat)
1 pack of sliced cheese (I love light havarti or cheddar)
8 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
Any veggies you may want to add to the eggs 

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Crack all 8 eggs into a bowl and pour in the milk. Whisk until well mixed. If I have bell peppers and tomato in the fridge, I'll dice these up and put them with the eggs along with salt and pepper. Take a muffin tin and pour a bit of oil into each well and grease well with a paper towel (get up high on the edges). Fill each well halfway with the egg mixture and place in the oven for about 12-14 minutes. While you wait, lightly toast each english muffin. Once the eggs are done, make sure you give them a minute to settle down because they will be very high coming out of the oven. Assemble your sandwich - english muffin, 1 slice of Canadian bacon, 1/2 a slice of cheese (up to you), 1 egg piece and english muffin. Voila! If you use the 10 pack of Canadian bacon you will have two sandwiches with no meat. Sometimes I cut slits on the edge of the egg piece so that it flattens better - the muffin tins make them a bit tall. Once they cool down, wrap each sandwich in seran wrap, making sure to get all the air out and stack them in a freezer bag. That's it! When you want to eat them, just pop them in the microwave for 1.5 minutes (without the plastic). Personally, I wrap each sandwich in parchment paper, and then in plastic wrap, to avoid the plastic on the food.


No comments:

Post a Comment