Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who's the Breadmaker Now?

uring my 5 month I-Have-Nothing-To-Do-But-To-Cook stint, I really wanted to take a shot at baking my own bread. You know, take it back to the roots....old school....I've gotta feed my young? Except, I have no young and my ancestors were probably not baking a whole lot of bread and instead were crouched low and making enough kimchee to store for the entire village. Anyhoo, I wanted to try my hand at it but I don't own a bread mixer or maker and I've been told that the entire process could be quite challenging. With the spirit of Julia Child behind me and her chapter on mastering the art of baking bread in a conventional oven, I was ready to do it! After much, much, MUCH research, I found a no fuss no muss recipe over at one of my favorite food sites, Alexandra's Kitchen (who has recently moved her site to here). It's simple, easy, and quick. The bread came out great but I wish the crust browned a little more. I put a little egg wash over the top to keep it shiny and brown but it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll have to try again another time.

You can get the recipe here.

Apologies for the dull lighting but I had to make do with what I had. Happy Baking!

2 comments:

  1. ooo yumm i wanna try this recipe! i love the way fresh made bread makes your house smell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoburger, try it!! It's really simple and doesn't require a lot of ingredients. And it totally does bring that home cooked goodness into your home!

    ReplyDelete